All of this was fixable. The sum total of reforms (a bit simplified, to be fair) is this:
- Limit campaign donations:
- A citizen may only donate to a person for whom (s)he may vote in the next election.
- The sum total of donations must be a very small amount, allowing access to any person.
2. Limit access to lawmakers:
- Every meeting with every individual who is not a constituent must be logged and recorded as a permanent record.
- Every meeti
3. A holder of national office must divest his or her holdings:
- An exception to this is dwelling real estate or small (very small) business.
- Real property of little financial value may be retained.
- Value of previously held stocks, bonds, etc. would be directed to an anonymous and wide-ranging fund directly proportional to the standard holdings within the US citizenry.
- A non-partisan legal and fiduciary committee would review all transactions of the national officials with veto authority.